Monday, March 10, 2008

We're in the room

We're settled in. I'm writing this from the room on a very slow connection that Vlad set up through his Blackberry. So I cannot post photos from here.

Our charge nurse, Clementine, is great. She's originally from Cameroon, is a huge soccer and NFL fan. We reminisced about the Super Bowl. Turns out the Giants are her team. But unfortunately, her NBA loyalties lie with the Lakers. :(

Dr. Conlon, the oncologist, does not have the results yet from cytogenic tests of a couple of weeks ago; nor the results from Friday's CT scan. But I did manage to find out that Vlad's subtype is acute monocytic leukemia. I'll be reading more on that today.

They just took Vlad to put in a line in his chest for the chemo. He's also getting some heart tests today.

Vlad lost 5 pounds overnight. Clementine says he likely won't lose his appetite after the chemo. But Dr. Conlon says he will lose his hair.

Clementine just told me there will be a Nurse Navigator in to talk about what to expect. I've got a lot of questions.

We also found out visitors are unrestricted the entire time as long as his blood cell count is acceptable. Flowers / plants are not a good idea. Whether he can have them depends on his count, which can change. When his count is down, visitors must wear masks. There will be a sign on the door and masks available if this is the case. Children are a bad idea after this week.

I'll post photos later, and maybe a video if I can make it work. Things are slow today, so feel free to call. Only not my cell because I left it at home. Either of Vlad's cell numbers will work.

No comments: