Friday, March 21, 2008

Sliding into side-effect-land

Vlad has a fever this morning, a couple of mouth sores and the big D (diarrhea), all common chemo side-effects. For me it's getting a little scarier. Normally-nothing germs are so dangerous now. His white count is back down to 700 today. He also had a bad night, but I'm hoping he'll get some good sleep today.

Conlon said he is doing well; he's the 1-in-10 leukemia/chemo patients who isn't slammed by the side-effects. At least so far. I finally worked up the guts to ask the prognosis question again. Conlon said Vlad has an "average" case of MLA. His chromosomes are normal, not deformed, which is basically a good thing in this case.

We also asked about the rumor about going home next week and he said basically what we expected: "Maybe."

It's all good news.

McGrath Pest Control checked the traps this morning and found no rats. They couldn't find one trap, though. They assured us the rats didn't carry it off. Note: We found this trap in the bedroom later. It apparently fell from the hole before Gary fixed it. Strangely comforting to have it accounted for.

Gary didn't make it this morning. I finally called about 10 minutes ago and he was very apologetic and said he was on his way. For me, the big thing is done. I'm not bothered that he's not here yet. I really just wanted to know how to plan my day.

Mom and I have been cleaning out bookcases. We found a comic book about Jesus in Russian. I'm curious how such a book ended up in the hands of Jewish refugees to the United States. Maybe the Welcome Wagon.

No comments: