Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Down in the mouth


Long day. Vlad still running fever. It goes up. It goes down. It goes away. It comes back. Conlon says cultures show an infection and he thinks the port is the source. The plan is to get rid of this port. How to do this has changed during the day, but the latest plan is to take out the port and implant a new one on the other side of his chest. They're supposed to do it sometime in the morning. He gets platelets at 5 a.m. so his blood will clot better and they can do the minor port surgery.

His BP tonight was much lower, about 110/65. Blood sugar also is down. He's getting loaded up with antibiotics.

His mouth has become a big problem. The chemo causes all the tissues in the mouth to be very sore, including his lips. Eating is a problem, so he's moving to a soft diet. Mom made him some chicken and noodles today and we pulverized it in the food processor. Her homemade applesauce has sustained (and delighted) him for two days.

I've had a scratchy throat for a couple of days and have been wearing a mask. I believe it is allergy-related, but now it's turned into a little cough. So today I got some antibiotics and cough medicine from my GP. I should be non-contagious by tomorrow afternoon, if I ever was contagious to begin with.

Between the continuous handwashing and slathering of antibacterial goo, my hands have gone all red and dry. They need lotion about every 15 minutes. This is the side effect we loved ones endure. Small potatoes.

We had the air ducts cleaned at the house today. And the blower, which was pretty nasty. The crew leader was Simon. He saw our menorah and asked if I was Jewish. "My husband is," I said. Simon says he's Jewish and shows me he's wearing his yarmulke under his gimme hat. Turns out he's Georgian and his wife's family is from Ukraine. Small and weird world.

Still no news on the rat front. Suits me.

Funny story du jour: Vlad asked his nurse, Jane, to see about getting him a stronger sleeping pill. She warned him that the stronger pills make you really groggy in the morning. So Vlad says, "Well? I'm not driving." I thought she was going to pee in her pants laughing.

Phone calls I remember: John, Bill, Karina, Liliya, Valiya. Yesterday's phone calls I remember: Joseph from P, Suzanne, Lana.

Visiting: It's still not a great time to visit, but Vlad has his moments, so just call first to see if he's up for company (713-778-7073). Please use the antibacterial goo, and if you think you may have been exposed to any contagious germs please wear a mask. (Goo and masks available outside the door, Room 1013.) If you have any sniffles or a cough or a fever, etc., please do not visit until you're over it.

Phone calls: He has trouble talking because of the mouth pain. So please take that into consideration when chatting on the phone.

No comments: