Saturday, December 26, 2009

Perking up

Vlad's perking up, although it's taken most of the day. He has a mostly indescribable nausea/heaviness in his chest that won't go away. Swallowing is now officially uncomfortable. He's eaten very little today and winces every time I try to think of some food that will sound good. He ate 1/2 of a cutleta for dinner and two bites of mashed potatoes. That's as good as it's going to get.

We just went on our third walk and I talked him into sitting up at his computer for awhile. He needs to be more perpendicular this evening. And I just found the Rockets game on TV: Now we're talking.

I talked to some spouses in the family room earlier tonight. A man from Shreveport whose wife is in Day 15 and another man whose wife is in Day 76. Mrs. Day 15's white count is only .2 and Mrs. 76 has had a rough time with Graft vs. Host and has just one kidney. So there is much to be thankful for.

Mr. Shreveport told me he "fired my nurse" from last night. He asked the charge nurse not to assign her to his wife again. Both men said their holiday nurses were the worst they've had. I didn't say anything but Vlad's nurses -- Marisol, Katrina, Sheila and Elveera among them -- have been wonderful.

Mr. Shreveport had a bunch of apple juice he was trying to unload. It sounded good to Vlad (imagine that?) so he's drinking one of them now.

No comments: