Sunday, December 13, 2009

Fever spike

Vlad just had his first fever spike, which is expected. It was 37.8 (100.04), which doesn't seem terribly high, but he had bad chills and sweats.

They're giving him some Demerol, which I don't understand exactly, not being a medical professional and all. Demerol is a pain killer and I'm guessing also a sedative. Maybe they're just trying to get him to settle down a bit. He isn't really resting as much as he should.

He just called and sounded kind of excited and tired at the same time. He's a little scared; he's finally on this new road. Chemo was old territory, this is a completely new journey and the rhythms are unfamiliar. I wish I was with him tonight.

Mom and I visited for about an hour. Alex came in after us and then Liliya & Nieeliya came in kindly with tons of food that Vlad sent home with Alex. It's problematic to keep the food, much less eat it in his condition.

I took Mom to Sylvia's on the way home. I had the Southern Enchilada Sampler, or whatever it's called: the one with the mole enchilada. It was all really good. Mom had the chiles relleno that she liked, but didn't fuss over, so I think she'd have prefered Ninfa's, maybe. I love Sylvia's mole, and no one else in my immediate family can even stand mole of any kind. Sylvia was there; she's been there the last couple of times I've been. It's her newer location on Woodway, so maybe she's working really hard to make it go, or maybe she's always like that. She showed us to our table and filled our water glasses. The place has my heart.

Onward and upward.

More on the transplant: It's supposed to take place in his hospital room. A doctor will begin the procedure and nurse(s) will monitor the infusion. There is no specified time; it's dependent on when the stem cells arrive at the hospital. I am allowed to be in the room during this procedure, so I probably will be. I still don't know how long it will take. Stay tuned.

No comments: