Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Fever roller coaster

At Vlad's appointment with Conlon yesterday, all his numbers were up. He's out of nadir and neutropenia with WBC at 1.3. Saturday he battled low fever, which by Sunday evening was creeping past 101. I was relieved he had a doctor's appointment Monday morning. By 10 a.m. Monday, no fever. By 2 p.m. Monday, fever was back. It went away Monday evening, but returned during the night. So I stayed home both days with the patient.

We've tried everything. His mouth sores are back, too. Weird though, since his numbers are better, why all the fever and sores now? Why not last week? I think it's possible it's not just minor infections, it's also body heat generated by the marrow working to replenish the cells. I don't know. I've heard that about my own anemia.

We're thrilled this is about as bad as it gets. Could be so much worse. But it still sucks, you know? I've decided to cancel my birthday this year. He'll be in the hospital on my 50th for the last chemo. The fact it's the last chemo is gift enough.

We're hoping he'll be strong enough to visit my sister & mom when they bring the girls to Galveston in August. It looks pretty iffy.

Hoping to get back to the office tomorrow. Cheers all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh don't say ifffy. We have causes for celebration in Galveston. Your birthday and the last of the Chemo. Hang in there and I'll see you in Galveston!

As always, you're both in my prayers.

Love,

DZee